Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
The State of ScoreHero
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DevilMayAsian  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:39 am    Post subject: Re: The State of ScoreHero Reply with quote

CleverTangent wrote:
TL;DR: If you're skipping to this part of the post without reading anything else, please leave this thread. Thanks!

Seems a bit counterproductive to your original intention...

Personally, any scrubs that I run into flies over my head. They don't bother me at all, as opposed to GameFAQS users and the majority of Devil May Cry players. The SH community, on the other hand, is VERY different, only because I've met several SH members in person and through personal experience, the ones that I've met and had the privilege to hang out with has done nothing but solidify my belief of not just the GH community, but ScoreHero being the best community I've ever had pleasure of being a part of.

I find that there's a decent balance in SH (the rkcr/trofl/Squirrel and so on balances out the buh/beh/kurmeow and so on). Personally, I haven't had any gripes with SH for the last couple of months or so. I feel that it's in a pretty good place, for now.

Proud I DON'T GIVE A FUCK.
View user's profile Send private message XBL Gamertag: Devil May Asian PSN Name: DevilMayAsian
bjwdestroyer  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 7:32 am    Post subject: Re: The State of ScoreHero Reply with quote

Hey, I recognize this somewhere: http://www.scorehero.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=78138

Anyway, I'm actually not going to add anything new to the discussion aside for some regurgitation and a few other notes. Why? Because I BAWWW'd about this very thing once long ago (as the aforementioned link displays), and all that it accomplished was me discovering that some feel the same, and others don't. I was a single person with no authority, and although I like to view myself as being a somewhat-influential person on these boards, I stand no chance against the community as a whole. Not to mention, the thread was in Website discussion; now if it were in Accomplishments, maybe 5x the amount of people would have read it (and then responded with "GOOD JOB!!")

@ Symptoms: Yep. Also, the constant use of dead memes will never end (in the foreseeable future). We will forever be stuck with such brilliant things as Rick Rolling despite the fact that a fair number of individuals do not understand how it works in the first place.

@ Causes: Yep.

@ "What can be done about this?": Self-moderation and perhaps a stricter staff. I see nothing wrong with PMing members telling them to stop posting shit, short-term temporary bans (1-3 days from the forum), etc. Well, just as long as the staff actually tells the forum poster why they are punished, of course :P

A stricter staff won't really form though: the era of Riz is long gone. Similarly, there is no way every single immature member in this community will suddenly wake up, well, mature. SH is still a great community. Yeah, it's a bumpier ride than before, but I'm sure you can handle it.

CleverTangent wrote:
Stop complaining about the lack of your favorite songs; you are a lowly forum poster, and the development companies do not give a damn what you think

I HAVE 4241 POSTS, EVERYONE CARES ABOUT ME

Last edited by bjwdestroyer on Fri Jan 23, 2009 7:54 am; edited 2 times in total
Rawrspoon  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thead won't go anywhere. What CAN you do? Ban? They'll just come back through a proxy server.

I don't think that trying to keep an internet forum clean of idiots when the world is polluted is very feasible. The US has the stupidest general population, however it also has the brightest minds. Whether you like it or not, intellect is a rarity, you can't expect a large forum to be filled with intelligent people. It's expecting every roll of the fifty sided die to be a 50.

As for internet memes, they'll be alive for ever. They won't die, no matter how much you hate them. For every meme that dies, 10 more are created.

And for accomplishment theads, it doesn't help that the people who have youtube videos with thousands of subscribers still hold one of those, fill your wiki page with that and post updates in your sig, it gives room for people like koloxid, one of the best drummers who recently decided to post on scorehero with an impressive battery FC and YMB drums gold. They are the ones who need more recognition, not the ones with so many accomplishments they need multiple theads or whatever. However, I can see the lack of the well known people affecting the popularity of the forum negatively, making new or not as good people sit there doing nothing.

Oh, locking topics. I hate that so much. Is it really necessary to lock a topic that has had a powerful, intelligent conversation over the inevitable idiot? Just edit or delete the post in question instead of making everyone suffer for someone who doesn't care and won't care about the topic.

The only solution I can see is to remove the safety labels off of everything.
mReaL  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find this thread both important and useless at the same time. I completely agree with how most of you feel and that includes the fact that there isn't much most of us can do about it.

The internet is full of jackasses, sexists and racists and the worst part is that 90% of those people wouldn't act that way if they were in the same room as you. I don't know why if you give some people a little aninemity they all of the sudden feel that they have a free pass to act as stupid and mean to any person they encounter. The maturity debate is part of it but I think it also has a lot to do with respect.

I found ScoreHero shortly after I bought GH2. I beat easy and medium but found the higher difficulties more than I could handle. After looking on the internet I found one of Priest's video's of an expert FC and a link to Scorehero. Within a could of weeks of reading technique threads I improved greatly and became a member of this site. I remember when I joined that I always thought twice about posting in the forums because of mods like Matt and Riz. Those guys were tough on people who didn't read the rules and had no problem making examples of an idiot who would post way too much. I think that as the community has grown the mods have had an increasingly difficult job. You can monitor a particular thread that is having frequent posts that disrupt the discussion and remove those bad ones but eventually locking it is just easier, and sometimes more effective. It is unfortunate for those of us that were participating positively but that is the way things go when an organization like this grows.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Havn't read all of the posts yet in this thread. I'm about to try and hardwire my les paul, but I'll say one thing that I get angry about everytime I see it.

Backseat Modders! arrg. 99% of the time I see a new thread someone has to butt in and say "this should be in misc discussion!" or "Modders don't appreciate you using that word, please edit your post" or "<link> all your questions will be answered here" drives me nuts.

Scorehero used to be friendly. I havn't been here too long, just over a year I guess. but I've seen it change a lot since that time. When I first joined up I was a n00b whatever... but no one would leave a 1 liner post with a link. someone would redirect me to the correct place, but still help me out anyway! it should still be the same now.

I'm going to fuck up my guitar bye

EDIT: oh my god i didn't fuck up my guitar woooop
50 Songs Gold Starred [X]
FC GH:Aerosmith [ ]

Check out my GH vids on Utube
http://www.youtube.com/user/Kingpin0072001uk
Me breaking my arm is also on there.

Last edited by SkaterGamer on Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Skatergamer0209
trofl  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That anyone can register and post on here is both amazing and annoying at the same time. I guess you just have to take the good with the bad. A post that had five seconds of thought put into it has pretty much the same value (unless a mod steps in) as a post that had five hours of thought and/or research behind it.

I'd much rather have the system we have now rather than thorough background checks or a strict forced "lurk time" before someone can post. You never know when some hardware guru who just recently got the game and already has some sweet mod will join the site, wanting to share his neat invention. Yeah, they're needles in a haystack, but where would this community be without them?

The best actions we can take as established users is to either help new users find the information that they seem to be missing, report obvious +1 posts and flamebait, and don't feed the trolls. Otherwise, the mods do a spectacular job, especially relative to other sites.
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: wxtrofl
Fedora  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I deleted what was once a long post here because I realized even I didn't care about the content of it much.

The original Rock Band career bassist.
Former DJ Hero player for vVv.

Last edited by Fedora on Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:25 pm; edited 2 times in total
MDCLXX  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kingofterrors wrote:
There is a reason I'm not very active here anymore ;). I miss SH in the old days.

I remember a conversation at an SH party that involved the topic of how any member whose ID number is over 10,000 didn't matter.

I second your opinion. Yet I'm still here. I... don't understand.
EWiggen  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like grilled cheese sandwiches dipped in tomato soup. Especially when the cheese is still all melty and some of it oozes off to the side when you bite into it, and the tomato soup is really thick and sticks to the sandwich. In fact, I'm going to posit that it is one of my favorite sandwiches, especially when you consider how easy they are to make and how few ingredients they have.

Mmmm.... Grilled cheese sandwiches.
Fedora  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EWiggen wrote:
I like grilled cheese sandwiches dipped in tomato soup. Especially when the cheese is still all melty and some of it oozes off to the side when you bite into it, and the tomato soup is really thick and sticks to the sandwich. In fact, I'm going to posit that it is one of my favorite sandwiches, especially when you consider how easy they are to make and how few ingredients they have.

Edit: Removing myself from this thread before I get too pissed off.

Last edited by Fedora on Fri Jan 23, 2009 4:46 pm; edited 6 times in total
fUNC  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My name notwithstanding, I'd like to think that I'm a pretty peaceful person by nature, and there's no faster way for me to go running towards greener pastures than endless flaming. When I started lurking here in Julyish of 2007, the misc (GH) discussion area was very much built around the kind of positive, helpful atmosphere that places like GF and YT lacked. Back then, it was not only possible but the norm to talk about a new development and expect the responses to contain more than a modicum of thought, whereas the trend in those areas on both sides of the board now seems to be either simple, unrelated responses (oh noes! No Texaz Floodz!) or bullshit flaming/posturing that doesn't help anything but that poster's ego. Like others have pointed out, I suppose this is inevitable with the series' rise into the mainstream and subsequent influx of uneducated masses, but that doesn't mean we can't at the very least try to keep a certain standard. Also, the community will start shrinking again once the series peaks, so...

I'm not sure what this thread will accomplish in the long run beyond simple griping, but it is nice to know that there are other people who are still keepin' the faith

~Kyle~

Scorehero's #1 Chiefs fan and L4D2 player

Last edited by fUNC on Fri Jan 23, 2009 4:36 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: samsa3
IWillKickU  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every internet forum that I've ever been a part of has gone through this exact process:

A) Forum is good.
B) Forum gets big because its so good.
C) Forum looses some of its goodness due to influx of idiots.
D) Old members whine about how much better the good ol' days were.

Seriously, life is always changing. Your body is changing, your mind is changing. The company you keep is changing. And your favorite internet forum is changing. All you can do is either change with it, leave it, or become a crotchety old man who remembers way back in 2006 when gas only cost a nickle and the forum wasn't full of these goddamn emo kids with thier loud music and their pierced nipples.

I don't mean that you have to decrease the intellect of your posts to match the general level of the forums, but if you want SH to grow (and who wasn't excited to see sH grow to 100,000 users, 200,000 users, 350,000 users?) you have to be willing to compromised the tight-knit community aspect that you used to love so much.

The community is what you really miss. You know, YOU KNOW, that back in the day, there was just as much stupid pointless posts (percentage-wise) as there are today. Remember a guy named IEatGlue, or Popemobile? Hell even the revered Scorehero moderator HylianHero and the immortal Hellashes will probably admit that they posted their fair share of stinkers. So it's not like Scorehero used to be some bastion of mature, intellectual philosophizing in an otherwise cluttered sea of retard ridden video game forums. It's just that now instead of having a couple people who post out of line, you have a couple thousand. The dynamic of the community is still there, it's just on a much grander scale, and not everyone knows each other anymore.

In the past these kinds of threads have called for harsher moderation, more bans, or any number of ideas to have someone else fix YOUR forum. But the only way to make your forum more enjoyable to you is to embrace the aspects you like, and ignore the ones you don't. You don't like the overposting in the accomplishments forum? Don't go there, or do like I do, browse it once a day, but don't post, unless there's really something that needs to be said. Don't like general chat? Don't read threads with titles like "ZOMG! I SAWED AN awSOMZORX TV SHOW lol" If someone is contaminating one of your high-brow threads with sophomoric immaturity, PM them about it, or click that little button with the "!" on it. There is SOOOO much that we can do to self moderate these boards, that there really isn't a reason to call out the staff to grow bigger ban-sticks.

Oh and finally, STOP POSTING TL;DR AFTER LONG IMPORTANT POSTS. If your post is that long, it's that long for a reason. Don't sell yourself short, little Bobby, you're better than that.

tl;dr: I Will Kick You!
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail XBL Gamertag: IWi11KickU
Eastwinn  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've noticed. It's the reason I don't post here that much anymore. I just don't find the need to. The forum and I have grown apart. I could BAWW about it as BJW would put it, or I could move on. I know it sounds like I'm being melodramatic but it's just the keyboard -- I can't seem to write anything that doesn't sound like little Susie Carmichael never getting a pony for her birthday. Meh, I'll still come back here all day and ever day because this such a great forum.
GuitarHailz  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EWiggen wrote:

I've been trying to think about what would be the best way to delicately reply to this without sounding as angry as I actually am. I suppose I don't really have much to say, but I hope you do listen to what I have.

Do you really think you're funny or clever for coming into an intelligent, well-thought-out thread and posting something ridiculous or cryptic? You know I appreciate your sense of humor as much as the next person, EWiggen, but I see it more as a sign of disrespect to the original poster. I see it as openly rude to the time and effort that CleverTangent put into this topic and frankly makes me angry. If such a post had come from a "noob" it would probably be deleted, so why should something so ridiculous coming from you be okay? I suppose I'm just baffled that you wouldn't honor CT with a thoughtful response, since I know you're more than capable of it.

I apologize to you, CleverTangent, for this off-topic post. I'll come back with my real response later, once I figure out exactly what I want to say.

1KJ08mq.jpg
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail XBL Gamertag: PMS Hailz PSN Name: Hailey_Ivy
Fedora  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edit: Removing myself from this thread, as my continued participation in it will only inkvoke anger, cause me to say bad things about moderators, and will likely get me banned. I leave you with possibly the most salient point from my earlier diatribe:

Fedora wrote:
While some mods on this site decry people for being uncivil to one another, others bound about the board being complete cocks to people. The cognitive dissonance is astounding.

Last edited by Fedora on Fri Jan 23, 2009 4:48 pm; edited 3 times in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Website Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 2 of 9

Jump to: