ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Broken whammy bar?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Guitar/Bass
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JRyder  

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 6:18 am    Post subject: Broken whammy bar? Reply with quote

I went to a local Best Buy across the river in West Illinois, and played a demo of Guitar Hero in which the whammy bar on the guitar was broken. It was strange, but I did notice one thing. The whammying would happen immediately as I hit a held note with star power. I played Story of My Love, and as the song FAQ covers you can get two extra SPs out of the song by getting the whammying to start right at the beginning of the note.

I was distracted by a small crowd of two people, but I know that if I was able to 100% that song, I would've had a great score. Can anyone else verify for me that a broken whammy bar that is held down against the guitar can have constant SP? Not that it's worth breaking my whammy bar to get a high score on SomL, but I'm curious to see if I can find another broken demo.

Riff  

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 7:23 am    Post subject: Re: Broken whammy bar? Reply with quote

JRyder wrote:
Can anyone else verify for me that a broken whammy bar that is held down against the guitar can have constant SP?

I can confirm that this is not the case. I busted the spring on my whammy bar such that it no longer returns to the nominal upright position upon release. The game does not indicate that the tremolo bar is active when I hit the first note of Iron Man even if I am holding the bar down while the note sustain is active. The tremolo bar is implemented using a potentiometer and the game checks the state of the pot at a rate proportional to the beat. If the difference between the current value of the pot and the previous value of the pot is not greater than some particular non-zero value, the tremolo bar is considered inactive and you will not be awarded star power for that reading. If the tremolo bar is active and you stop moving the bar before the start of the next beat you will see that the bar goes back to the inactive state at the next beat.

The only way a broken tremolo bar could provide constant star power is if the problem with the bar caused the potentiometer reading to fluctuate non-stop. This is virtually impossible. You are more likely to break the potentiometer mechanism such that the shaft cannot turn or malfunctions in some way as to keep the resistance constant in which case the tremolo bar would be considered inactive at all times no matter how fast you move it.

It is always in your best interest to start moving the bar as soon as possible after hitting a sustained star power note because of the fact that the star power is awarded proportional to the beat. Whether a single extra star power award will make any difference is another matter.
HylianHero  

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, this is most definitely not true. Since it only really counts for whammying when the bar moves up or down, it obviously won't work as well if you just push it down.

In fact, I think it's much harder to get SP now, since I have to move my entire strumming hand down to the whammy bar as opposed to just whammying with my ring finger and pinky.

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my little bro broke my wammy bar by stepping on it... i think the spring is all that was broken...for a while it wasn't able to use it unless i would return it to its original position then depress it ......... so didn't do me much good........ BUT..
. . . before i retured the thing to the store......... ... i used a rubber band around the wammy and the strap stub (bent around the cord) and i think it made a very big improvement not only does it keep my whammy from 'drooping' but also i believe that it recoils faster which in my mind acquires star power faster....... (dunno if that is true or not) but it works for me.... i like the high tension.
-----------evil
LearningGH  

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone else Hold the wammy bar while they strum regular notes and long notes... I think that this is an advantage that left handed people may have.. There is an easier way to hold the wammy bar when you flip the guitar over to play on lefty and i just hold it while i play to make it very easy to wammy while keeping my regular fingers on my strummer.
satriales  

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LearningGH wrote:
Does anyone else Hold the wammy bar while they strum regular notes and long notes... I think that this is an advantage that left handed people may have..

I play lefty and started off holding the whammy bar all the time, but it soon became too painful for my wrists, so now I have to move it out of the way otherwise it kills my wrists. When I need to use it I spin it back round and then out of the way again once I finished. It's a bit of a pain and the whammy bar still gets in the way compared to playing right handed where you can have your wrist flat against the guitar.
Sprocket  

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

am-i-evil wrote:
my little bro broke my wammy bar by stepping on it...

Some 'buddies' of mine broke my whammy as well. I took the thing apart and was able to fix it with a rubber band inside the body of the guitar. Other than it having a little more tension no one would ever suspect it of being broken. If anyone has taken their guitar apart they'd probably agree that the way the whammy spring is assembled does not look very durable. The piece of plastic that broke in mine was very tiny, prolly 2 millimeters.

BTW Hi, my first post. Great site! Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green
Echelar  

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sprocket wrote:
am-i-evil wrote:

Some 'buddies' of mine broke my whammy as well. I took the thing apart and was able to fix it with a rubber band inside the body of the guitar. Other than it having a little more tension no one would ever suspect it of being broken. If anyone has taken their guitar apart they'd probably agree that the way the whammy spring is assembled does not look very durable. The piece of plastic that broke in mine was very tiny, prolly 2 millimeters.

Did you by chance play World of Warcraft? Your name is familiar.

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No WoW, I still play old MMO called Subspace. And I post on other forums.
You may have met my doppelganger
shutendoji  

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sprocket wrote:
am-i-evil wrote:

i wouldn't even dare to perform surgery on my guitar...the last time i did...which was on my PS2...i broke the damn thing, and i know now not to go into surgery for a medical liscense
krimsunmunkeys  

Location: The Hall of the SH Council... watching... (not really)

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shutendoji wrote:
i wouldn't even dare to perform surgery on my guitar...the last time i did...which was on my PS2...i broke the damn thing, and i know now not to go into surgery for a medical liscense

Ah, memories. I remember when my friend and I broke open my PS2 because it was a piece of ****. We figured that we couldn't do any more damage than there already was, and nothing bad happened to the PS2 while we had it open. It still works occasionally, but it was horrible enough that I bought a slim PS2.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Guitar/Bass All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: