ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Intentional Yellow-ing?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Vocals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
squall1729  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 1:16 pm    Post subject: Intentional Yellow-ing? Reply with quote

["Green" / "Yellow" / "White" are used as verbs below to indicate hitting a phrase with a flash of the respective cover.]

Ok, I've just started trying to score well on vocal songs, so trying to figure out ways to exploit SP and FF sections. As SP overlaps, if you can green a lot of short phrases its seems your SP can last aaages (e.g. Rooftops).

However, as you can yellow a phrase, keep combo but not get as much rock meter boost, I'm wondering if it's ever advantageous to intentionally get a yellow flash? E.g. your SP will run out sooner, meaning you can start collecting for the next SP usage earlier, and if there's a big FF section soon afterwards you might miss it if your previous star power use had lasted longer before running out....

apologies if that doesn't make sense - I'm nowhere near consistent enough on vocals to have to worry about this yet, but for those who are pathing vocals, is this actually a possibility?

PS3 GHWT player - PSN = sql_lall
Don't tell me to Learn-to-Play-a-Real-Guitar!
Romanczuk  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My mind hasn't been blown like this since I first heard about squeezing.
Damn it's going to be a battle for vox topscores.
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Mushy2008  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Intentional Yellow-ing? Reply with quote

squall1729 wrote:
["Green" / "Yellow" / "White" are used as verbs below to indicate hitting a phrase with a flash of the respective cover.]

Ok, I've just started trying to score well on vocal songs, so trying to figure out ways to exploit SP and FF sections. As SP overlaps, if you can green a lot of short phrases its seems your SP can last aaages (e.g. Rooftops).

iirc starpower doesn't Overlap on Vocals... It's the only instrument that doesn't.

View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Mushy2008 PSN Name: Mushy2008 Wii Friend Code: 4798547854137468 ICQ Number
sburymadness  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SP does not add on to current SP usage in vocals. I have no idea why it doesn't, maybe it has something to do with EVERY phrase being SP, and that would allow for potentially being under SP for the whole song.

I have thought about doing poorly on phrases to not gain as much SP. (i.e. The phrases right before the freeform section on About a Girl). It doesn't really seem logical though in the big scheme of things.
arvain  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm i see what you mean. i've been wondering the same thing. it might be possible, but before, you have to get perfect score/path with getting green flash...then get perfect score/path with yellow flash (and this is very hard to do on purpose ) to see what's best...not to mention freestyle (well you can also test it on songs that don't have ff). so yeah, i don't think anyone is going to bother THAT much to figure out
lilo95  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In guitar terms:

It's kinda like not whammying so when you release star power it runs out in time to get to the next phase.

Am I right?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, but it's more like dropping the hold instead of just stopping whammying - you lose more than just the SP from it, you also lose quite a few points - IIRC, it's a max of 500*4 on expert per phrase. So you'd probably (estimate here) lose about 150*4 points, or 600 points in order to do this. I really doubt that this is going to be a major strategy point in songs. Maybe a few - no more than 10, I expect, will have this as a move for optimal.
Megaman703  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There isn't a point to it, imo. Since you can activate SP any time you want, I'd be hard pressed to come up with a scenario where good pathing and activation timing wouldn't overcome intentional yellowing.
Romanczuk  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well think is it this way. If there's two short phrases back to back

[...blablablabla][blablablablablablabla][short phrase][short phrase][blablablabla...]
If you have SP and you want to get rid of it so you can green the short phrase and get SP again really quick you might want to not have so much SP that it overlaps the tiny phrases. So you yellow a phrase to get just the right amount so it un-activates right before finishing the first small phrase.
I think I'm being way to vague here but it's hard as hell to explain.
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Vocals All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: