ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
General Noob Questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Drums
View previous topic :: View next topic  
migthegreek  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 7:00 pm    Post subject: General Noob Questions Reply with quote

OK, there's too many things I want to ask so rather than start loads of threads I'll just list them.

Background
  • Never played real drums or RB.
  • Played WT drums only for about 5 days now (guitar doesn't work).
  • Stuck at the end of Hard (Assassins, Trapped Under Ice, BYOB, Soul Doubt, Scream Aim Fire) so I've started some on Expert. First 6 gigs seem pretty straight forward to pass but after that really hard.

Questions

Bass pedal - WTF. If there was no pedal, I'd have 5-starred Expert already.

1. My pedal gradually slips forward over time and I have to try to drag it back every now and then. How can I stop it slipping? It's a wood floor (I can't mess it up with sticky tape or anything like that).

2. My leg gets so tired I can't physically hit the bass notes sometimes - the muscle down my shin just starts to ache like hell. I feel more comfortable with my heel down. Is that right? If I put it up it's less tiring but my timing is less accurate as I'm using less muscles to control my foot. The pedal also moves more. Will my endurance increase with time?

3. Is limb independence just something you either have or don't have? I'm finding it really hard to play the pedal and hands when they don't correspond at all, or are off-beat all the time. If it's a repeating pattern with relatively few off-beat notes, I can manage most of the time, but sometimes it's just like a wall of notes and there's so many bass notes interlaced that I can't even begin to start processing where they all come in. Will I eventually just learn to do this or was I not born to be a drummer?

4. Drum rolls (I think that's what they're called?). Firstly, if there's more than 5, I can't tell how many to do. Secondly, I can't for the life of me hit the pedal and do this at the same time.

5. The pedal seems to be the thing that governs the changes in difficulty. I passed every song on medium and every song on hard first time, except for the 5 I'm stuck on. Then I just hit a brick wall. The songs I have left I'm finding pretty much impossible to pass because of the insane amount of pedal notes and their off-beat timing. Is this a normal place to get stuck? I seriously can't see myself ever completing everything. When I first started guitar on GH3, I thought Expert was insane and had doubts, but had confidence I'd eventually do it. I completed it in 4 weeks. There is no way I can do that with drums. Please let me know how long it took you to complete Hard or Expert.

6. Sometimes SP doesn't activate and I break combo (I do usually anyway). Is this a common problem?

7. There is a certain pattern I find really hard:

...where the pedal is on the Y.

Especially if it's really fast (e.g. Overkill). It just feels natural to hit the bass pedal with the reds. I find that for this reason, Trapped Under Ice is actually easier on Expert because I can just hit the pedal on every red and ignore the pedal on the yellows. On Hard though, you have to hit it on the yellows only, and I just die really quick.

8. How can I make my drums quieter? I'm driving everyone in my house nuts and have to wait for them to go out usually. I also think the neighbours are going to complain soon (I am in a semi-detached house).

Any help appreciated.
hydrapower  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 7:56 pm    Post subject: Re: General Noob Questions Reply with quote

I'll start with the TL;DR version: Everything will become easier with time and practice. Now, for some specific answers:

migthegreek wrote:

LMFAO

Quote:

1. My pedal gradually slips forward over time and I have to try to drag it back every now and then. How can I stop it slipping? It's a wood floor (I can't mess it up with sticky tape or anything like that).

Try finding something heavy to put in front of the pedal so that it stops moving like that.

Quote:
  • My leg gets so tired I can't physically hit the bass notes sometimes - the muscle down my shin just starts to ache like hell. I feel more comfortable with my heel down. Is that right? If I put it up it's less tiring but my timing is less accurate as I'm using less muscles to control my foot. The pedal also moves more. Will my endurance increase with time?

• Absolutely! Since you're just starting out you probably have little if any endurance. The question between heel-up and heel-down is really answered by whatever you feel more comfortable doing, but I will qualify that by saying it is much easier to do the quick-hits that you find in Expert by playing heel-up. That's the way I play.

Quote:
  • Is limb independence just something you either have or don't have? I'm finding it really hard to play the pedal and hands when they don't correspond at all, or are off-beat all the time. If it's a repeating pattern with relatively few off-beat notes, I can manage most of the time, but sometimes it's just like a wall of notes and there's so many bass notes interlaced that I can't even begin to start processing where they all come in. Will I eventually just learn to do this or was I not born to be a drummer?

• I started from nothing. Limb independence is something you will develop over time, but will seem like a brick wall at first. For reference, I started with RB1 and there's like 3 "noob-killing" songs right near the beginning (Here It Goes Again, Wave of Mutilation, Reptilia) that have long stretches of pad-bass-pad-bass alternately. I used to not be able to do more than 3 or 4 in a row before getting off time. Now (granted it's a year later) I can do this perpetually and can even do it really fast, like what you'd find in Thrasher Expert.

Quote:
  • Drum rolls (I think that's what they're called?). Firstly, if there's more than 5, I can't tell how many to do. Secondly, I can't for the life of me hit the pedal and do this at the same time.

• I played on HS1 to make it a little easier to read how many notes there are. You could also slow the part down in Practice Mode if you want to know for sure. Rolling in conjunction with the pedal is one of the things that takes the most time to learn. It is helpful to know that MOST of the time the pedal falls on a right-handed hit (if you are a right-handed drummer), so then it's just recognizing that it's every second or fourth pad. Still, it's very hard when the pedal isn't "regular" (the rolls in You're Gonna Say Yeah, or the Everlong verses).

Quote:
  • The pedal seems to be the thing that governs the changes in difficulty. I passed every song on medium and every song on hard first time, except for the 5 I'm stuck on. Then I just hit a brick wall. The songs I have left I'm finding pretty much impossible to pass because of the insane amount of pedal notes and their off-beat timing. Is this a normal place to get stuck? I seriously can't see myself ever completing everything. When I first started guitar on GH3, I thought Expert was insane and had doubts, but had confidence I'd eventually do it. I completed it in 4 weeks. There is no way I can do that with drums. Please let me know how long it took you to complete Hard or Expert.

• Don't lose hope! I'm trying to remember how long it took to beat Hard on RB1 for me. I did actually start with Easy and Medium too. Hard I remember getting stuck on stuff like Reaper, and Run to the Hills Hard is about as hard as the 5th tier of Expert. A month, maybe? Others can probably offer their experiences, too.

I have seen a lot of people say that they were able to jump up to Expert quickly (as it seems you've done) and at least pass everything within a few weeks. Granted, as I watch the SH rankings I see a ton of people who are scraping by with 3 or 4 stars on lots of songs (even easy ones). But, what's uplifting is I am seeing a few people from that pack start to break away and 5-star a lot more songs and improve rapidly.

Quote:
  • Sometimes SP doesn't activate and I break combo (I do usually anyway). Is this a common problem?

• Yes. It is helpful to know that if you are activating on a single yellow/orange, hit the non-charted note slightly before the charted one. Then it will activate every time.

Quote:
  • There is a certain pattern I find really hard:

Especially if it's really fast (e.g. Overkill). It just feels natural to hit the bass pedal with the reds. I find that for this reason, Trapped Under Ice is actually easier on Expert because I can just hit the pedal on every red and ignore the pedal on the yellows. On Hard though, you have to hit it on the yellows only, and I just die really quick.

• This is like "Maps RB1 syndrome" where it looks impossible at first but as soon as it clicks becomes really simple and easy. Overkill is actually very simple and you just need the chops for it. It's slower and easier than Maps (a tier 3 RB1 song). Trapped Under Ice is much faster but not much more complicated, but it will probably still take you a lot of time. I bet as soon as these songs click for you you will see dramatic score increases.

Quote:
  • How can I make my drums quieter? I'm driving everyone in my house nuts and have to wait for them to go out usually. I also think the neighbours are going to complain soon (I am in a semi-detached house).

• I am absolutely the wrong person to ask for that! I had unscrewed my drums to try to make my red drum work a little better, and now that I've screwed them back together my red drum is much louder than the others. But I don't mind, in fact it sounds more authentic with it sounding more like a snare.

Quote:
    Any help appreciated.

Good luck! You've got nowhere to go but up.

Now Available in e-book format! Book 1 Book 2
    Otharia - Science Fiction/Fantasy from some aspiring writers, check it out! Updates weekly!
    HoorayItsMike  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 8:33 pm    Post subject: Re: General Noob Questions Reply with quote

First off - My background:

Never played real drums before. Been playing RB drums since RB1 first came out. I'm hopefully ranked at least top 7 or so still on XBL career drums for WT. I play heel down, which means I don't EVER lift my leg up when I play. 99% of drummers play heel up. I am somewhat unorthodox when I play so I may not be the best person to help you, but I might as well give it a shot.

migthegreek wrote:

The material on the bottom should be enough to hold it, but other people have been complaining about this as well. Try and possibly play lighter or place a large rubber object in front of the pedal. Something like one of those large pink erasers but bigger.
    migthegreek wrote:

• My leg gets so tired I can't physically hit the bass notes sometimes - the muscle down my shin just starts to ache like hell. I feel more comfortable with my heel down. Is that right? If I put it up it's less tiring but my timing is less accurate as I'm using less muscles to control my foot. The pedal also moves more. Will my endurance increase with time?

• It definitely will. It will only increase for whichever way you play, however. I can play for a long time heel down, but my leg aches after 30 seconds of heel up. I'm sure this would be the opposite if I played heel up most of the time, like most people do. I would play heel up and stick with it before you become like me and get too used to playing the "wrong" way.
    migthegreek wrote:

• Is limb independence just something you either have or don't have? I'm finding it really hard to play the pedal and hands when they don't correspond at all, or are off-beat all the time. If it's a repeating pattern with relatively few off-beat notes, I can manage most of the time, but sometimes it's just like a wall of notes and there's so many bass notes interlaced that I can't even begin to start processing where they all come in. Will I eventually just learn to do this or was I not born to be a drummer?

• This all comes over time. Just take it into practice mode and go on slowest, slower, slow, full speed - you know the drill. The more you play the better get. That's a rule that I find applies to drums more than guitar.
    migthegreek wrote:

• Drum rolls (I think that's what they're called?). Firstly, if there's more than 5, I can't tell how many to do. Secondly, I can't for the life of me hit the pedal and do this at the same time.

• On most songs, especially Hard difficulty songs, the bass pedal will be in beat with your right hand during these rolls. say you have . You almost always want to start every fill/roll/anything with your right hand. This rule probably applies about 95% of the time, given that you're playing righty. So the bass would be on the 1st red, the 3rd red, and the orange. All of these would be in line with your right hand when it hits. Eventually doing something like this will become pretty easy and it's easier to tell when you need to end and with which hand.

Basically, odd number of notes means start and end with right hand. Even number of notes rarely happens as of right now, most likely, so don't worry about that too much. You could either start with left and end with right or vice versa. Sometimes one way is better than the other and just the opposite, so it depends on the situation. The higher hyperspeed, the easier it is to see how many notes you need to hit. Often times you may need to just play a part a few times before you know whether it is odd or even. Just start with your right hand, though, always, for now.
    migthegreek wrote:

• The pedal seems to be the thing that governs the changes in difficulty. I passed every song on medium and every song on hard first time, except for the 5 I'm stuck on. Then I just hit a brick wall. The songs I have left I'm finding pretty much impossible to pass because of the insane amount of pedal notes and their off-beat timing. Is this a normal place to get stuck? I seriously can't see myself ever completing everything. When I first started guitar on GH3, I thought Expert was insane and had doubts, but had confidence I'd eventually do it. I completed it in 4 weeks. There is no way I can do that with drums. Please let me know how long it took you to complete Hard or Expert.

• Well I believe it took me about a month to beat RB1, mainly due to endurance in Run to the Hills. Seriously, though, the more you play the easier and easier certain beats become for you and the less and less difficult more complex beats become for you. When I first played drums I played 1 easy song, 8 medium, beat hard career, got as far as I could expert, played all through hard again doing MUCH better than my first time, and then played through expert again and beat it. So it wasn't exactly a cake walk, but I never killed myself to pass any songs besides RttH. Just have fun and before you know it things will come quickly to you.
    migthegreek wrote:

• Sometimes SP doesn't activate and I break combo (I do usually anyway). Is this a common problem?

• I would just read this amazingly sweet and cool thread. (Especially the parts in bold)
    migthegreek wrote:

• Hydra looks like his explanation is good. I'm not really sure what to say here anyways besides just keep playing and practicing. These random drumming techniques all will come in due time.
    migthegreek wrote:

• How can I make my drums quieter? I'm driving everyone in my house nuts and have to wait for them to go out usually. I also think the neighbours are going to complain soon (I am in a semi-detached house).

• If you don't want to make your family pitch in for some silencers (they're only out for RB. so this wouldn't help the cymbals), then I would possibly try the sock mod? You would have to be somewhat creative for it to work, but I'm sure there's a way. I know your kit's sensitivity is fine, but they definitely dull the noise a bit. The more material you put over the pads the less noise you get. As long as you keep them tight it should be fine. The only thing I can think of for the cymbals is a hard rubber material. No idea about any examples though.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 2 units of currency, from someone who played real drums for a few years before music games.

1. Electrical tape (the rubbery kind, not duct tape) shouldn't leave glue on the floor. I don't have a GHWT drum kit so I don't knoe how it's secured (My Ion seems engineered specifically for carpet, it has screws sticking out the bottom of the pedal that make it totally solid on carpet) but sticking rubber feet to it might help? Failing that, heavy object behind it.

2. Like any muscular activity, endurance comes with time. Don't over-exert yourself, if you feel a cramp coming on, pause and have a quick break if possible; if you try and play through, you'll be cramping up for the rest of the session.

3. It is something that you either have or you don't, but you can learn it too. If it doesn't come naturally, it's just a bit more difficult to perfect. Practise mode is your saviour

4. Using hyperspeed definately helps. It becomes a bit of a skill guessing how many notes are in a roll, but generally (on snare) odd number = start on left hand, even number = start on right hand. This is because it leaves your right hand free at the end to hit the cymbal.

5. Even from RB1, I jumped straight into Expert andhaven't had much trouble with anything bar Visions (not my style of drumming at all, huge respect for people who can blast ) and the All That Remains songs in RB2 which are the only ones I'm not confident about passing every time.

6. Already been answered as well as it can be answered.

7. That's a pattern a lot of people have trouble with, but one day it will click, just like that. Again, practise mode will help a lot.

8. Check out the Hardware forum for ways to quieten your kit, I've thought about using hard rubber sticks but they didn't have much effect. It's just ones of those things I guess, if you had a real drum kit you wouldn't care about making a noise. ;) You could always arrange a time with your neighbors when they wouldn't mind you playing or something, I let my neighbors (also semi-detached) know when I'm having a rock band night.
    ElementOfZero  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suggest for just general "getting better", go to Free Drum Lessons and watch a lot of the rudiment videos. Go into the game's music studio and practice a lot of the basic ones like double strokes (which will help with Assassin). The first step in learning drum rolls for me is to count the number of hits per color. If it's even, start with your right hand (if right handed) if not, your left.

Over time, getting rolls down just takes muscle memory. If you want to do an "impressive" roll, go to Hotel California on expert and the last two end rolls have pretty basic stuff for expert.

It involves changing colors frequently, adding in a bass every beat and ending on a crash. Each set of colors lasts for 4 hits, which appears probably most frequently in the game.

The Choice Is Yours, And Yours Alone. Silver Snakes 4 Life
    My Accomplishment Thread! My Youtube, New Videos posted often
    View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: v Reincarnate v
    Megabert  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 4:00 am    Post subject: Re: General Noob Questions Reply with quote

migthegreek wrote:
    OK, there's too many things I want to ask so rather than start loads of threads I'll just list them.

Background
    • Never played real drums or RB.
    • Played WT drums only for about 5 days now (guitar doesn't work).
    • Stuck at the end of Hard (Assassins, Trapped Under Ice, BYOB, Soul Doubt, Scream Aim Fire) so I've started some on Expert. First 6 gigs seem pretty straight forward to pass but after that really hard.

Questions

In real drumming, you use two pedals alongside everything your hands do in GHWT, one pedal is pretty easy to get down compared to two.

Stick a book, a heavy weight, or if you have it a sandbag in front of it. HMX used sandbags when they were at the state fair here, and nothing moved a bit (my RB pedal normally walks).
    2. My leg gets so tired I can't physically hit the bass notes sometimes - the muscle down my shin just starts to ache like hell. I feel more comfortable with my heel down. Is that right? If I put it up it's less tiring but my timing is less accurate as I'm using less muscles to control my foot. The pedal also moves more. Will my endurance increase with time?
      Learn to play heel-up. I started playing heel-down and lasted like 3 songs on easy. I played heel up and started 5-starring hard on RB within a week.
    3. Is limb independence just something you either have or don't have? I'm finding it really hard to play the pedal and hands when they don't correspond at all, or are off-beat all the time. If it's a repeating pattern with relatively few off-beat notes, I can manage most of the time, but sometimes it's just like a wall of notes and there's so many bass notes interlaced that I can't even begin to start processing where they all come in. Will I eventually just learn to do this or was I not born to be a drummer?
      Limb independence comes with time. Everybody sucks at it at first, trust me.
    4. Drum rolls (I think that's what they're called?). Firstly, if there's more than 5, I can't tell how many to do. Secondly, I can't for the life of me hit the pedal and do this at the same time.
      The pedal is almost always in line with your right hand. Just stay on beat and stop when the stream of notes stops. You can always use hyperspeed, too.
    5. The pedal seems to be the thing that governs the changes in difficulty. I passed every song on medium and every song on hard first time, except for the 5 I'm stuck on. Then I just hit a brick wall. The songs I have left I'm finding pretty much impossible to pass because of the insane amount of pedal notes and their off-beat timing. Is this a normal place to get stuck? I seriously can't see myself ever completing everything. When I first started guitar on GH3, I thought Expert was insane and had doubts, but had confidence I'd eventually do it. I completed it in 4 weeks. There is no way I can do that with drums. Please let me know how long it took you to complete Hard or Expert.
      It's normal to get stuck here. If you had RB2 I'd tell you to use the drum trainer, but just practice with your sticks (in the air will work) hitting with your right hand, then your right foot. Then add in the normal snare on two and four. I finished expert pretty quickly (except hot for teacher), but on RB1 (which is a lot easier) I progressed from meduim to expert over the course of a year.
    6. Sometimes SP doesn't activate and I break combo (I do usually anyway). Is this a common problem?
      Make sure you hit the uncharted note before the charted note. For example, on a pattern, you'd activate like this: . It takes practice.
    7. There is a certain pattern I find really hard:

This is a limb independence thing. It'll come with time.
    8. How can I make my drums quieter? I'm driving everyone in my house nuts and have to wait for them to go out usually. I also think the neighbours are going to complain soon (I am in a semi-detached house).
      Not really. The WT drums are actually pretty quiet. The only thing you can really do is use silencers. I hear the experimental WT GoodWoods are quiet, but I don't know about using experimental kits.

Any help appreciated.
    Gladly.

Yeah, I know, I repeated some stuff. Since someone else mentioned freedrumlessons, look at their posture and foot pedal lessons. They're really helpful.

Smike  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm having just about every problem that you are, as I've also only been playing for a few days now (the first half of which with one arm handicapped - long story) but there's one thing I can help with - the bass pedal slippage.

I play on a tile floor, and the grips did absolutely nothing to hold it in place. What I did was get a 2.5' x 2.5' square of carpet (something like a welcome mat will work fine) and place it under the drumset. Assuming you're playing in a stationary (non-wheeled) chair, place the front two legs of the chair on the edge of the carpet to keep the entire thing from sliding away, and you shouldn't have a problem anymore.

A bit of a hassle if you don't have anything handy, but well worth the results for sure. The carpet grip is way better at holding than the rubber "smooth floor' ones - I actually have to "peel" the pedal off of the carpet like velcro (probably for good reason, looking at the grip itself, heh).

Hope this helps.
    migthegreek  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone; a great load of help there.

ElementOfZero wrote:
    I suggest for just general "getting better", go to Free Drum Lessons and watch a lot of the rudiment videos.

I never thought of that, but I guess real drum lessons really would help with the game. Guitar lessons are completely useless, but drum lessons definitely apply here.

Smike wrote:
    What I did was get a 2.5' x 2.5' square of carpet (something like a welcome mat will work fine) and place it under the drumset. Assuming you're playing in a stationary (non-wheeled) chair, place the front two legs of the chair on the edge of the carpet to keep the entire thing from sliding away.

I actually have to "peel" the pedal off of the carpet like velcro

Yeah, now that you mention it, I think I noticed there is actually a velcro strip underneath, isn't there? Will find me some carpet!
    gufino  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:55 am    Post subject: Re: General Noob Questions Reply with quote

Quote:

The welcome mat trick in the post before is absolutely the best solution you could find. Just be sure to get a mat with a rough up-face (so it will work velcro-style on the pedal) and with a rubber down-face so it won't slip and bend on the floor.

Quote:

• What really matters is the way you are comfortable. Playing heel-up allows faster hits (this is the way I always play on my real kit) but the GHWT pedal's spring may not be hard enough to let you keep the tip of your foot relaxed on the pedal without accidentally hitting a note. Playing heel-up with your muscles stressed keeping your foot up, is really suicide Just find yourself your particular way.

Quote:

• Limb independence will come with time, but remember that all starts in your mind. You have to understand what you're doing, before your brain could be good enough to do it "by itself". Try thinking your brain is split in four parts, and every part gives signals to one limb, without actually thinking about other limbs. This may sound strange, but it actually works

Quote:

• Well you really DON'T have to count hits. When you'll be a bit more skilled, you could just, with a quick look, understand how many hits-per-beat the roll has, and when to stop it, it will make sense rythmically, you won't spend your daying counting hits in rolls
    Playing bass notes while rolling isn't hard at all, but you need the right amount of limbs independence to do it. Develop it!

Quote:

• Same thing here, you have to 1) understand the pattern rythmically 2) in order to play it, limbs independence rules again

Quote:

• Common and annoying. It seems that this problem could be solved hitting the uncharted cymbal a little before the charted one. If you're gonna activate SP in a place where no cymbal is charted, you shouldn't have problems anyway.

Quote:

• It's a really common pattern so you better get it right soon
    Anyway, my advice is: separate the cymbal part from the bass/snare part, and think about it this way: the cymbal is just a sequence of beats at constant pace, so your right arm (I suppose you use right for yellow in these kind of patterns) should just keep beating yellow at a constant pace. The rest of the pattern is just an alternating sequence of bass/snare/bass/snare/bass/snare and so on. If it's the case, exercise playing this pattern without cymbal, just a sequence of R-Foot/L-hand/R-foot/L-hand until your muscles are comfortable with these movements.

Quote:

• Wish I knew!! I have the same problem
    Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Drums All times are GMT
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: